M.Sc. Textile Engineering
Gain a unique background and become an expert in man-made fiber technology and textile fabrics production. As a student of our M.Sc. Textile Engineering (Textile), you will specialize in the latest developments in textile mechanical engineering such as high-performance fibers, medical textiles and biomaterials or tailored reinforced fabric structures to be used in the automotive industry, healthcare and civil engineering and design new machines to manufacture these textile products of tomorrow.
- Study format:
- Master’s Degree Program
- 2 years (4 semesters) full time (Start: Winter semester 2023/24)
- Credit Points:
- 120 ECTS
- Course fees:
- 22,000 €
- M.Sc., awarded by RWTH Aachen University
Take your engineering skills to the next level
The M.Sc. Textile provides advanced and specialized methodological, process and technological knowledge in the field of textile mechanical engineering. In this very unique program you will focus on the development of fibers, yarns and textiles of all kinds as well as the construction of new textile machines. Moreover, you will get excellent knowledge in the immersing fields, such as textile-reinforced concrete, medical smart textiles and implants or bio-based fabrics. Become an expert in fabrics manufacturing and master spinning, weaving, knitting/warp knitting and braiding and support a sustainable production.
As an M.Sc. Textile student, you will learn to
- simulate and modulate fibers, textile structures, machines and processes
- develop nano-composite materials for high-performance textiles
- invent new fiber-reinforced plastic materials for industrial applications
- design smart fibers for use in healthcare applications
- develop advanced polymer blend technology for product improvements in textiles and composites
Your studies – your choice: Choose a study track
To equip you with the specialization you need for your individual career path, we offer two study tracks in the M.Sc. Textile:
Choosing this study track you will prepare for a career in the industry by
- acquiring industry-specific knowledge and methods
- gaining specialized knowledge of the practical application of textile technology
- having a critical understanding about current developments in fiber technology
Learn more about the Coursework Track
Choosing this study track you will complete two research projects and
- perform complex experimental methods
- conduct your own empirical research on interdisciplinary questions
- acquire scientific methodological skills and learn independent scientific working
Learn more about the Research Track
Get an idea of the program
The M.Sc. Textile is divided into two parts. First, you complete the compulsory courses and a number of elective courses, some of which are taught in English while others are taught in German. Then you work independently on a research topic and gain practical experience with the industrial internship.
Check out the detailed module manual for M.Sc. Textile.
Downloaded from RWTHonline on September 23, 2022, subject to change without notice, all data without guarantee.
Coursework Track: Elective Courses
Research Track: Elective Courses
Explore your future career
Using fibers and textile fabrics in industries such as automotive, aeronautics, construction, healthcare, and energy and environment is becoming increasingly important. The M.Sc. Textile secures the demand for specialized engineers in textile technology by training highly qualified experts who can design and develop such new textile materials and manufacture them with new machines and processes. Understanding the entire textile value chain, you will be ideally equipped to work in the international industry as well as with national medium-sized hidden champions thanks to the interdisciplinary curriculum and bilingual teaching in German and English.
Upon successful completion of the M.Sc. Textile, you
- are set to work in the field of constructing textile machinery as well as developing processes and operations for the production of all kinds of textiles fabrics
- understand material and product devolvement, especially of innovative and marketable textile structures
- can design test and measurement methods as well as process analysis
- have in-depth knowledge of scientific work and can use this for the industry or a further academic career
Find out what fields our M.Sc. Textile graduates work in ...
… and what careers they pursue
Your path to success
We want you to be successful - right from the start! Even before you begin your studies, we plan your course schedule with you and agree on goals that you want to achieve in each semester. Regular meetings and proactive academic advising during your time with us will help you identify your strengths and continually develop them. Our mentoring programs, extra-curricular events and general career support will equip you to graduate with honors and give you a head start for a unique career in Germany, Europe or worldwide.
Your way to us
Do you want to take your career to the next level with a Master's Degree at RWTH Aachen University? Start preparing your application now and discover how you can experience a successful start at RWTH Aachen University.
To become a Textile student you must fulfill the following admission requirements:
1. A Bachelor Degree
2. Relevant Work Experience
3. GRE General Test or Completed GEC
4. Fundamental knowledge in the following subjects
- Non-EU applicants: December 2 to March 1
(Applicants who are citizens of a country outside of EU/EEA)
- EU applicants: December 2 to July 15(Applicants who are citizens of a EU/EEA country, applicants who are currently enrolled at RWTH Aachen and applicants who are degree holders of a German University)
Any further questions?
We will be happy to answer your questions about the curriculum, our admission requirements, our scholarship opportunities, and whatever else is on your mind. Just write us an e-mail and we will get in touch with you.
Book a digital one-on-one appointment
If you wish to speak to us in person, you can book a digital one-on-one appointment with our Student Advisor Johanna, who will answer your questions and guide you with your application.
Select the topic which you would like to discuss, choose a day and time, and enter your personal information.