M.Sc. Robotic Systems Engineering
Robotic Systems Engineers create and develop innovative and intelligent robotic solutions and systems to meet today’s most pressing global challenges: industrial productivity, energy efficiency, environmental responsibility, and mobility services.
There is no application fee.
- Study format:
- M.Sc. Degree Program
- 2 years (4 Semesters)
- B.Sc./ B.Tech./ B.Eng. & 1 year work experience
- Credit Points:
- 120 ECTS
- Course fees:
- 22,000 € in total
As a RoboSys graduate you will
- develop, implement and program robotic systems for different levels of autonomy
- design industrial robots that are automated, programmable, and capable of moving in a dexterous workspace
- combine and apply technological skills of mechanics, electrical drives, sensor technology, as welll as information processing to optimize systems of robots for different domains
M.Sc. RoboSys comprises three semesters of lectures, exercises and practical courses in mechanical engineering at RWTH Aachen University. In the fourth semester, you will either choose the industrial track, in which you will pursue an internship in industry or the academic track to carry out a research project. You also have to finish your Master's thesis in this final semester.
The "Industrial Track" gives you the opportunity to take your first steps in industry. You have the opportunity to do a 12-week internship in a company. The "Academic Track" gives you the opportunity to write a small research paper. The topic can be chosen by you and you can implement your ideas here.
In addition, you will complete the following coursework:
- Curricular Language Courses
- Twelve-week Industrial Internship
- Study-integrated Research Project
- Four-month Master's Thesis
Curricular Language Courses
Learning German is essential to help students integrate into a German cultural environment successfully and furthermore pursue internship and job opportunities in Germany. In order to graduate in this Master's degree program, students need to fulfill one half-level course. Students without previous knowledge in the German language begin with an A1 level course. All other students need to take a placement test to assess their skill level.
For more information on placement test dates and registration deadlines check the homepage of RWTH Language Center.
Twelve-week Industrial Internship
The 12-week industrial internship is part of the industrial track and offers students the opportunity to gain further practical experience in the industry. To prepare for the industrial internship, please view the following links:
- Internship Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Internship Accreditation
- Confirmation of Compulsory Internship are issued upon request by RWTH International Academy and the Internship Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
Study-integrated Research Project
Students can choose to do a research project in the research track instead of an internship. With a workload of 300 hours it is recommended to do the research project in the fourth semester. To keep track of their project, students use the research project recording sheet, which can be downloaded from the website of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
Four-month Master's Thesis
The Master’s thesis is the final examination to complete the M.Sc. RoboSys. Students need to have achieved at least 80CP in order to register their Master’s thesis, which will then need to be completed within four months. The Master’s Thesis can be written internally with the Institute or externally with a company. Students need to formally register their Master’s thesis with the so called Master’s Thesis Registration Sheet (Erfassungsbogen).
Take a Sneak Peak at your Studies
Have a look at the following online media to get a sneak preview of what you can expect as one of our students.
The application process is 100% digital and there is no application fee!
In order to apply you'll need the following documents:
- University transcript of records
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) – (Non-EU applicants!)
- Proof of at least 12 months' work experience
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letter of Motivation
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Two letters of recommendation
- University degree certificate
- APS (only for applicants with a first degree from China)
Academic Requirements for RoboSys
Proof of Work Experience
Letter of Recommendation
Letter of Motivation
English Language Requirements
If your documents were not issued in German or English, you must have a certified translator translate them into either German or English. These copies do not need to be notarized.
Non-EU and non-EEA applicants need to fulfill the following mandatory minimum requirement:
- Proof of the GRE General Test with minimum scores at the time of application:
Verbal Reasoning: 145
Quantitative Reasoning: 160
Analytical Writing: 3
Tuition Fees & Expenses
Tuition fees are charged for all programs organized by RWTH International Academy. In this section you can find payment information and general information about living cost in Germany. You can also have a look at the scholarship section for funding opportunities.
Complete applications submitted until January 15 (Non-EU) / April 15 (EU) receive a 10% Early Bird Discount on the tuition fees!
Tuition and Semester Fees
- Tuition fees: 5,500 € per semester (22,000 € in total; 4 semester regular study period)
- Semester fees at RWTH Aachen University: approx. 300 € per semester
(includes the semester ticket for public transport within the whole state of North Rhine-Westphalia, part of Belgium and part of the Netherlands)
Payment Regulation for the Tuition Fees
Payment Regulation for the Semester Fees
Living Costs in Germany