M.Sc. Robotic Systems Engineering
Become a robotic engineer and co-create the “Industry 4.0” by building intelligent robotic systems where humans and robots collaborate. In our M.Sc. Robotic Systems Engineering (M.Sc. RoboSys) program you will utilize your knowledge from various scientific disciplines to develop, implement and program cyber-physical systems and smart robots.
- Study format:
- Master’s Degree Program
- 2 years (4 semesters) full time (Start: Winter semester 2023/24)
- Credit Points:
- 120 ECTS
- Course fees:
- 22,000 €
- M.Sc., awarded by RWTH Aachen University
Take your engineering skills to the next level
The M.Sc. RoboSys focuses on the optimal use of robots in industry and society as well as the development and construction of novel robotic systems. Bridging gaps between mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and computer science, our program will enable you to develop innovative and intelligent robotic solutions to address the most pressing global challenges of the 21st century: industrial productivity, energy efficiency, environmental responsibility, healthcare, and mobility services.
As an M.Sc. RoboSys student, you will learn to
- create industrial robots, mobile robots, assistance robotics and intralogistics robotic systems
- develop, implement and program robotic systems for different levels of autonomy
- design automated and programmable robots that can operate in an agile environment
- develop robotic systems for embedded production systems or autonomous warehouses
The RoboSys program is under the academic direction of the Institute of Mechanism Theory, Machine Dynamics and Robotics (IGMR) of RWTH Aachen University. In teaching and research, the IGMR focuses on mechanism theory and kinematics, machine dynamics and vibration technology, and robotics and mechatronics. By applying their expertise of mechanics, electrical drives, sensor technology and information processing you will develop robotic systems that help shape the digital transformation in industry and society.
Your studies – your choice: Choose a study track
To equip you with the specialization you need for your individual career path, we offer two study tracks in the M.Sc. RoboSys:
The Industrial Track is the right choice for you, if you
- plan to do an internship during your studies
- want to write a practice-oriented Master’s thesis
- aspire to a career in industry
The Academic Track is the right choice for you, if you
- are interested in intensive research work
- want to write a research-oriented Master’s thesis
- aim for a PhD
Get an idea of the program
The M.Sc. RoboSys comprises three semesters of lectures, exercises and practical courses. In the fourth semester, you will either choose the industrial track or the academic track. You also have to finish your Master's thesis in this final semester.
Check out the detailed module manual for M.Sc. RoboSys.
Downloaded from RWTHonline on September 23, 2022, subject to change without notice, all data without guarantee.
Industrial Track: Internship
Academic Track: Research Project
Explore your future career
Increasing automation and digitalization are having an enormous impact on global competition. Using robotic systems is essential to increase industrial productivity while ensuring high-quality and cost-effective production. As a result, the industry is more than ever seeking robotics specialists with interdisciplinary knowledge in design, manufacturing, production, planning and management. The M.Sc. RoboSys responds to these developments with an application-oriented curriculum and the most up-to date technology knowledge, thus training the experts of tomorrow.
Upon successful completion of the M.Sc. RoboSys, you
- understand the optimal use of robots in production
- know how to combine and apply technological skills of mechanics, electrical drives, sensor technology, and information processing to optimize robotic systems
- have the skills to organize and monitor operational and manufacturing processes
- can identify future issues, technologies and developments in the field of robotics
Find out what fields our M.Sc. RoboSys graduates work in …
… and what careers they pursue
Your path to success
We want you to be successful - right from the start! Even before you begin your studies, we plan your course schedule with you and agree on goals that you want to achieve in each semester. Regular meetings and proactive academic advising during your time with us will help you identify your strengths and continually develop them. Our mentoring programs, extra-curricular events and general career support will equip you to graduate with honors and give you a head start for a unique career in Germany, Europe or worldwide.
Your way to us
Do you want to take your career to the next level with a Master's Degree at RWTH Aachen University? Start preparing your application now and discover how you can experience a successful start at RWTH Aachen University.
To become a RoboSys student you must fulfill the following admission requirements:
1. A Bachelor Degree
2. Relevant Work Experience
3. GRE General Test
4. Fundamental knowledge in the following subjects
- Non-EU applicants: December 2 to March 1
(Applicants who are citizens of a country outside of EU/EEA)
- EU applicants: December 2 to July 15(Applicants who are citizens of a EU/EEA country, applicants who are currently enrolled at RWTH Aachen and applicants who are degree holders of a German University)
Master's Degree Programs in Engineering and Humanities – for EU applicants:
If you complete your application by April 15, you benefit from our 10% Early Bird Discount.
Any further questions?
We will be happy to answer your questions about the curriculum, our admission requirements, our scholarship opportunities, and whatever else is on your mind. Just write us an e-mail and we will get in touch with you.
Book a digital one-on-one appointment
If you wish to speak to us in person, you can book a digital one-on-one appointment with our Student Advisor Johanna, who will answer your questions and guide you with your application.
Select the topic which you would like to discuss, choose a day and time, and enter your personal information.