The application process is 100% digital - please do not send us any paper copies by post!
Non-EU Applicants: December 1 - March 1
EU Applicants: March 2 - July 15
You can also take a look at our frequently asked questions here.
In order to apply you'll need the following documents:
- University transcript of records (preferably with ECTS conversion)
- Proof of at least 12 months' work experience (details below)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letter of intent (1 page, details below)
- Proof of English language proficiency (see below for requirements)
- Two letters of recommendation (details below)
- University degree certificate
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) – Verbal Reasoning 145 | Quantitative Reasoning 160 | Analytical Writing 3 (only for non-EU applicants!)
- (APS, only for applicants with a first degree from China)
If your documents were not issued in German or English, you must have a certified translator translate them into either German or English. These copies do not need to be notarized.
Academic Requirements for CAME
- Academic first degree: Bachelor of Engineering/ Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Technology in a related discipline (e.g. Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline, such as Automotive, Aerospace or Energy Engineering, Manufacturing, Structural, Industrial or Production Engineering)
- Good performance in your undergraduate studies
- Fundamental knowledge in the following subjects (preliminary):
|Fundamentals in Mathematics and Natural Sciences (75 CP)
||Mathematics, Mechanics, Material Sciences, Thermodynamics, Computer Sciences/Programming, Physics, Technical Drawing/Machine Elements
|Fundamentals in Engineering (45 CP)
||Fluid Mechanics, Control Engineering, Simulation Methods, Modeling, Theory of Vibration, Design, Manufacturing Technology, Structural Design
English Language Requirements
All of our master's programs require certified proof of English language proficiency. We accept the following (click the links to find an examination center):
- TOEFL internet-based minimum of 90 pts
- Academic IELTS minimum overall band 5.5
- Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- First Certificate in English (FCE), completed with a B
- Current RWTH students - RWTH Aachen Language Center - B2 placement-test
- For German applicants: Ein Zeugnis, das englische Sprachkenntnisse auf dem Niveau B2 des "Gemeinsamen europäischen Referenzrahmens (GeR)" ausweist. Dieser Nachweis wird z.B. durch die Vorlage eines deutschen Abiturzeugnisses erbracht, aus dem ersichtlich ist, dass Englisch bis zum Ende der Qualifikationsphase 1 (Jahrgangsstufe 11 bei G8-Abitur, sonst Jahrgangsstufe 12) durchgängig belegt und mit mindestens ausreichenden Leistungen abgeschlossen wurde.
- The score reports must not be older than two years by the first time you submit the score reports.
- A copy of the score reports needs to be uploaded to the online application system. In case of admission, the original scores have to be presented for personal enrollment.
- Additionally, you can check out the International Office's language requirements page or download the PDF listing all requirements in the Downloads section.
Exemptions from the English language certificate
All applicants who have a school leaving qualification or first degree in English that was issued by an institution in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or the US are exempt from the English language certificate requirement. The school leaving qualification or first degree must have been completed in one of the countries listed above.
Please note that having German citizenship or citizenship of an English-speaking country, even those listed above, does not in and of itself exempt you from the respective language certificate requirement. Language tests from other universities will not be accepted either. Please also note that RWTH does not accept MyBest Scores of the TOEFL test. The required minimum TOEFL score must be achieved within one single TOEFL exam.
Required Documents: Important Details
Proof of Work Experience
Our programs require a minimum of 12 months' work experience by the time of enrollment. The proof of work experience must include the following information:
- The employer's address and stamp
- Contact details of your supervisor
- Date of joining and, if applicable, resignation date (duration)
- Weekly hours
- Job title
- Short task description
Please note: your proof of work experience must be signed by a superior or HR!
Letter of Recommendation
Please note that no standard form or format is required for the letter of recommendation. The letter of recommendation can be issued by a university professor/lecturer or by a superior from your employment. It should, however, provide the following information:
- your relationship to the author
- your academic/professional history
- your qualities/achievements/ambitions in your respective field
- your personal traits and goals
- the author’s signature
- be written on the institution’s/company’s letter head (if possible)
- bear the stamp of the issuing institution/company (if possible)
Letter of Motivation
Please answer the following questions in detail:
- What perceptions do you have when thinking of studying in Germany?
- Why do you want to study at RWTH Aachen University?
- Why did you choose the program in question?
- Please mention your past academic or university experiences.
- Where did you receive information about RWTH Aachen University and the program?
- In what way does the program in question contribute to you achieving your career goals?
How to apply at RWTH Aachen University
Important Information for this program
Non-EU and non-EEA applicants need to fulfill the following mandatory minimum requirement:
Proof of the GRE General Test with minimum scores (Verbal Reasoning: 145 | Quantitative Reasoning: 160 | Analytical Writing: 3) at the time of application.
We help you prepare for the GRE