Visa, Travel and Insurance

In this section you find important information about visa and insurance regarding your Short Course or Master's Degree Program. Furthermore we collected useful links and tips how to get to Aachen City in the best way. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us anytime!

Visa Information

International students who need a visa to enter Germany should make sure that they factor in enough time to apply for a visa. Experience has shown that it can take two to four months and in some cases even longer between submitting your visa application and being granted a visa – provided that correct and complete visa application documents were submitted. Please apply for a visa at the embassy or consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany in your home country or responsible body in a neighbouring country.

Short Courses

Since you will not be enrolled as a student at RWTH Aachen University during your Summer School, we recommend applying for a so called "Schengen Visa", that allows you to travel in Germany and all European countries that are part of the Schengen Agreement. The following information is provided as a general guideline.

Visa Details - Short Courses

Master's Degree Programs

Please refer to the following webpages for further information on visa regulations:

Master's Degree Programs: Applying for a residence after your arrival in Germany

Your entry visa is generally valid for a few weeks after entering Germany so that you have enough time to apply for your residence permit. You must however apply with enough time to allow for a delay. The Immigration Office strongly recommends starting the application procedure for your residence permit about one month before your entry visa expires.

Important for Master's students!
Do not enter Germany on a tourist visa! A tourist visa cannot be changed into a residence permit for studies. Without the proper entry visa – even with a valid admission letter from a German university – you will be required to return to your home country and re-apply for an entry visa from there.

Travel Information

We advise using the following specific train lines to get to Aachen from the closest Airports which include Cologne/Bonn, Düsseldorf or Frankfurt international airport. You can take the train to Aachen Central Station (“Aachen Hauptbahnhof”) and from there on a bus to your final destination. You also have the option to catch a long distance bus from the airport to Aachen. This is a cheaper option, however may be more time consuming.


Travel Information

Cologne-Bonn Airport

  • Train Line: S-Bahn (S13 direction Köln-Ehrenfeld) to Cologne Central Station, then regional train to Aachen Hauptbahnhof
  • Duration: approx. 1-1,5 hours
  • Costs: 25-30 €

Düsseldorf International Airport

  • Travel Line: Direct regional train to Aachen Hauptbahnhof
  • Duration: 1,5-2 hours
  • Costs: 20-30 €

Frankfurt International Airport

  • Train Line: ICE or IC to Aachen Hauptbahnhof or a train with overlay in Cologne or Mainz and then to Aachen Hauptbahnhof
  • Duration: approx. 2-4 hours depending on the connection
  • Costs: 60-80 €

Brussels Airport

  • Travel Line: ICE, IC or regional train to Aachen Hauptbahnhof (Aix-la-Chapelle)
  • Duration: 1,5-2,5 hours
  • Costs: 30-60 €

Additionally, you can also have a look at the travel information site of RWTH Aachen University.

Health and Liability Insurance

Short Courses

Health and private liability insurances are mandatory for students who want to participate in a Short Course. Since your insurances at home may not provide sufficient protection abroad, you need to find an appropriate travel inscurance. To allow carefree travels in Germany and Europe for the entire program period, please make sure to have an adequate health and liability insurance.

We recommend a full-coverage package called “PROVISIT-VISUM” from Dr. Walter, which includes an international health and liability insurance and can be booked for the exact duration of your stay and charged per day. A liability insurance covers you in case you are held legally responsible for a negligent bodily injury or property damage.

For other providers

Master's Degree Programs

A very important factor to take care of prior to enrollment is health insurance: it will not only guarantee you treatment from German health care providers, it's also a condition for enrollment at the University!

In order to facilitate the process we provide the opportunity to sign up for public health insurance (or apply for an exemption) with our partner ‘Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)’ at our Welcome Meetings. They will then provide you with the required insurance (or exemption) certificate.

Popular health insurance provider

Liability insurance