M.Sc. Lasers in Dentistry
In cooperation with the Aachen Dental Laser Center (AALZ), RWTH International Academy offers the postgraduate master programme M. Sc. "Lasers in Dentistry". The course offers dentists the opportunity to become highly qualified specialists in the area of laser therapy. The programme is recognised and accredited in Germany and the European Union, as well all countries that are signatories of the "Washington Accord".
Study format: Master of Science
Duration: 2 years
Conditions: University degree in Dentistry & 2 years of work experience
Teaching: Blended-Learning Concept
Credit Points: 60 ECTS
Course fees: 28,000 €
About the Program
What can you expect from the course?
- Use of different laser systems from leading manufactures, covering all wavelenghts, in skill training and practical sessions. Practical instructions on laser handling and their subsequent practical use.
- Live operations on patients via direct monitor transfer.
- Provision of all necessary organic materials and laser-suitable safety goggles for independent practice with lasers.
- Carefully documented working materials serve as a sound reference for everyday practice.
- Distribution of specialist literature allows immersion in the subject and supplements your personal technical library.
- Training to become a certified Laser Safety Officer is part of the course.
- Certificates with ECTS credit points issued for each successfully completed module.
- Convenient learning evironment in our own state-of-the-art seminar rooms.
- Link-up to the scientific community: Participants attend international scientific congresses and are encouraged to publish in scientific journals.
Key Objectives & Qualifications
The two-year master programme "Lasers in Dentistry" comprises ten individual, self-contained modules. The programme goal is a specialisation of dental practitioners to experts in laser therapy.
This postgraduate, executive education course combines lectures, skill training sessions, live OPs, tutorials and practical workshops. Additionally, the study course includes extensive literature research, homework and laboratory work, patient treatment as well as documentation and practical experiments. Under the intensive supervision of post-doctorate employees, participants are introduced to successful and correct practical applications of lasers.
This qualification innovatively links the disciplines of life-science, medicine and natural sciences. Research and teaching meet the highest quality standards and are provided in close interdisciplinary cooperation between dentistry and physics.
The M.Sc. “Lasers in Dentistry” requires dentists to attend ten modules (approx. 38 days) over two years. The attendance modules are supplemented by e-learning, enabling contact with lecturers throughout the duration of the course. This mix of learning methods allows dental practitioners to balance their studies with their professional commitments.
Specific Examination Regulations
In order to apply the following documents are needed:
- University degree certificate
- University transcript of records
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Proof of at least 2 years’ working experience as a dentist
- Confirmation of sufficient command of English language - niveau B2 (e.g. Test of English as Foreign Language – TOEFL Internet-based with a minimum score of 90 / IELTS Academic Test with a minimum score of 5.5 / Cambridge Test – Certificate of Advanced English)
All documents should be translated in English or in German by a certified translator!
- Gather all necessary documents (in pdf format) from the checklist below.
- Create an online application account using our online portal.
- The application portal is open from December until August 15 every year.
- Answer the questions on our online portal and upload the required documents.
- Complete the online application.
- The evaluation of the application is an ongoing process. You will be able to track your application status.
- If you are admitted to the program, you need to confirm the admission.
Application deadline is August 15, 2021.
The regular course fee for M.Sc. "Lasers in Dentistry" is 28,000 €.
The fee for graduates of RWTH Mastership/Fellowship courses is 23,000 €.
The fees do not include accommodation and travel costs, but do include the whole documentation and catering during the presence days.
"I gained practical skills and knowledge which I have applied in my career as a pediatric dentist. Furthermore, I enhanced my skills in areas like communication, teamwork, critical thinking and problem solving. Each of these talents has added value to my career."
"The course requires an inquisitive mind and a genuine desire to learn and to think outside the box. Learning how lasers work is at first glance, a non-self-evident process but later becomes intuitive and very logical. It proved to be a remarkable course as it provided me with the ability to select clinical cases that benefitted from the use of laser technology, and to carry out desired laser therapy predictably and with confidence providing patients with better dental care with state of the art technology."
"The course really met my expectations, not only for the content of the Master itself, but also because the facilities we visited (Hospital, AALZ Center, Dr. Grümer’s clinic). I enjoyed the lectures of all the professors and lecturers very much, especially Dr. Gutknecht, Dr. Marcia Martin Marques and Dr. Stefan Grümer."
"The most relevant part of the course was the experience with laser in surgery. That it can be used as an advantage in so many areas in surgeries; that it gives less pain, less scar tissue and better healing. It is always interesting to read the theory, but the best part of the course was the practical training. After studying microbiology, you especially realise the benefits of laser since laser removes bacteria. Very useful in endodontic and periodontic treatments!"
Prof. Dr. Norbert Gutknecht
Clinic for Conservative Dentistry, Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry,
University Hospital Aachen, RWTH Aachen University
Prof. Dr. Norbert Gutknecht is Director of the AALZ (Aachen Dental Laser Center) and Scientific Director of the "Laser in Dentistry" educational programmes. Furthermore, he is the President of the German Society of Laser Dentistry (DGL) and the Executive Director of the World Federation for Laser Dentistry (WFLD).
Aachen Dental Laser Center - AALZ
Since its founding in 1991, the Aachen Dental Laser Center (AALZ) has been the global leader in the field of dental laser education and dental laser trainng. With the AALZ the first eductional institue for dental laser training was established at the Clinic for Conservative Dentistry, Periodontology and Preventative Dentistry at the RWTH Aachen University in Germany. It is renowned for its research in laser supported dentistry and cooperates with major research institutes both nationality and internationally.
For more information, please visit: http://aalz.de/
Study Course Coordinator
Phone: +49 241 80 23944