M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science
This extra-occupational master program “Laboratory Animal Science” at RWTH Aachen University is of great interest to anyone involved in laboratory animal studies and who is looking for a high level academic and practical education alongside his or her profession. The M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science is FELASA accredited and graduates will receive the FELASA certificate LAS specialist (including EU functions A, B & D).
Study format: Master of Science
Course start: September 2022
Duration: 2 years
Conditions: Previous university degree + relevant work experience
Teaching: Blended-Learning Concept
Credit Points: 90 ECTS
Course fees: 5,750 € per semester
About the Program
The M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science is a two year, part-time study course at RWTH Aachen University. 90 ECTS are attributed to this program. Successful graduates are awarded the academic title Master of Science of RWTH Aachen University. The program is aimed at international scientists (e.g. B.Sc. in Biology), veterinarians and physicians who are striving for a state-of-the art education as well as practical training in consideration of EU Directive 2010/63/EU and the 3Rs.
- Detailed and specialist knowledge of laboratory animal science based on the latest scientific discoveries in order to deal with complex experimental methodology and conduct independent research
- Ability to independently plan, conduct, evaluate and improve animal experiments, under consideration of the latest ethical criteria and species appropriate animal husbandry, in order to positively influence the well-being of the animals in line with the 3Rs and EU directives while generating scientific data to the highest standards
- Accredited M.Sc. qualification from a leading university for access to a wide range of careers in Laboratory Animal Science
- Access to a network of internationally renowned specialists
- The opportunity to study while continuing to pursue an outside career
- Unique broad experience with a wide range of species, from rodents to non-human primates
3R through Education
The RWTH Aachen University is committed to the 3R principles: Reduction, Refinement and Replacement of animal experiments. Animal experiments for biomedical research must be restricted to a minimum and the highest animal welfare standards must be upheld. In order for these principles to be effectively implemented scientists must not only be sensitive and receptive to improvements but also receive outstanding training in this field. Therefore, RWTH Aachen University is pleased to offer an executive Master program, M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science, to address these guiding principles.
Refinement is achieved through high quality theoretical and practical education of scientists ensuring that they are better able to design targeted experiments and minimizing adverse effects. Furthermore, by applying a statistical approach and exact experimental planning the number of animals required can be reduced. The course also incorporates modules dedicated to alternatives to animal experiments, as well as ethics, to enable improved decision making and ensure animal experiments are replaced where ever possible.
The implementation of EU directive 2010/63/EU on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes has immediate consequences for scientific personnel, their training needs and the associated job market. The number of personnel qualified to plan, conduct and evaluate experiments on animals has been further restricted and additional training is required for a wide spectrum of professionals active in laboratory animal science.
This part-time course has been designed to maintain the highest educational standards whilst minimizing absence from the regular work place. A blended learning concept, which incorporates e-learning with short attendance blocks, enables participants to receive the highest level of academic and practical training whilst limiting time away from home.
Examinations & Master Thesis
The standard study period incl. completion of the Master thesis is four semesters (two study years). The course can only be started in the winter semester.
The course is modular in structure. The individual modules address the teaching and development of a specific subject area and its corresponding competencies. Assessment of performance is conducted using examinations or other evaluation tools. The study program comprises 10 modules incl. the master thesis module.
The Examination Regulations are the legal basis of your course of studies: they determine the scope of your studies and inform about all rules and regulations regarding admission, exams, course structure, master thesis etc. These rules are regularly updated. Please refer to the version as indicated for your year of intake.
Target Group & Application Information
The program is aimed at scientists, doctors and veterinarians, who plan, conduct and evaluate animal experiments and their facilities. The study course is conducted in English and open to national and international applicants who wish to enhance their skills for a successful career in Laboratory Animal Science. By employing a blended learning concept, incorporating e-learning and short attendance blocks, this two year, part-time course enables participants to receive the highest level of academic and practical training whilst continuing to pursue their outside careers
- Legal certification as a scientist, physician, veterinarian or an equivalent qualification
- Proof of English language skills
- Sufficient relevant work experience
- Gather all necessary documents (in pdf format) from the checklist below.
- Create an online application account using our online portal.
- Answer the questions on our online portal and upload the required documents.
- Complete the online application.
- The evaluation of the application is an ongoing process. You will be able to track your application status.
- If you are admitted to the program, you need to confirm the admission.
- Application deadline: 15th July 2022
Course Fees & Scholarships
Tuition and Semester Fees
Tuition fees: 5,750 € per semester (23,000 € in total; 4 semester regular study period). The fees do not include accommodation and travel costs, but do include the whole documentation and catering during the presence days.
Semester fee of RWTH Aachen University: approx. 300 € per semester (includes the semester ticket for public transport within the whole state of North Rhine-Westphalia, part of Belgium and part of the Netherlands).
Scholarship Opportunities for Applicants
There are several scholarship opportunities available for M. Sc. Laboratory Animal Science at RWTH Aachen University. You should start looking for an appropriate scholarship as soon as possible. Please find some institutions offering scholarships for veterinarians listed below.
Why choose us?
The aim of M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science is to provide an excellent educational training, based on the latest research developments, for a wide range of scientific personnel.
A significant advantage of this master program is the possibility to study a wide range of species, from rodents to non-human primates. This is an unique opportunity to study such a variety of species, methods and technologies in one course and will help to broaden participants’ perspectives, as well as their scientific knowledge.
RWTH Aachen University
University Hospital Aachen
Institute for Laboratory Animal Science
There is acute demand from industry, research institutions and regulatory authorities for highly skilled personnel to lead and manage their laboratory animal research activities in a highly competent manner.
Graduates of the M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science will be able to:
- take on leading roles in laboratory animal science, animal housing facilities and animal welfare bodies
- apply special knowledge, using the latest methodology and generate scientific data to the highest standards
- independently plan, conduct, evaluate and improve animal experiments
- already during their studies, students benefit from a network of internationally renowned specialists and institutions
PD Dr. phil. nat. Julia Steitz
Scientific Co-Director MLAS Program
Director of the Laboratory of Clinical Chemistry/ Hematology & Microbiology,
Institute for Laboratory Animal Science,
University Hospital Aachen,
RWTH Aachen University
Study Course Coordinator
Phone: +49 241 80 23944