Visa, Travel and Insurance

Visa Information

Some of you may need to apply for a visa to enter Germany. Since you will not be enrolled as a student at RWTH Aachen University during your Summer School, we recommend applying for a so called "Schengen Tourist Visa", that allows you to travel in Germany and all European countries that are part of the Schengen Agreement. The following information is provided as a general guideline.

Visa Details

Please note:
Some Visas can take up to three months to be granted and it can also take a few weeks to get an appointment at the German Embassy/Consulate in your home country.

Travel Information

To make your journey as convenient as possible, we want to give you our advice on how to travel to Aachen from the closest airports.

Travel Details & Airports

We wish you a pleasant journey.

Health and Liability Insurance Information

Health and private liability insurance is mandatory for students who want to participate in a RWTH International Academy Summer or Winter School. Please make sure to take an appropriate insurance for the entire program period including arrival and departure dates.
We do recommend a private health and liability insurance with an EU coverage.

We recommend a full-coverage package called “PROVISIT-VISUM” from Dr. Walter, which includes an international health and liability insurance and can be booked for the exact duration of your stay and charged per day.


Please read the terms and conditions of your health and liability insurance policy carefully and consult with your insurance company in case you have further questions. It is strongly advised to have an additional travel insurance.