Visa, Travel and Insurance
Some of you may need to apply for a visa to enter Germany. Since you will not be enrolled as a student at RWTH Aachen University during your Summer School, we recommend applying for a so called "Schengen Tourist Visa", that allows you to travel in Germany and all European countries that are part of the Schengen Agreement. The following information is provided as a general guideline.
The embassy requires several documents for a visa application:
The best course of action is to find information on the Federal Foreign Office's website or directly from the German embassy in your home country, but in general you will need the following documents:
- Valid passport
- Health insurance coverage
- Schengen visa application form
- Letter of Admission (Provided by RWTH International Academy after being admitted)
- Visa Letter (Provided by RWTH International Academy after being admitted)
- Proof of Accommodation (Provided by RWTH International Academy after being admitted)
Some Visas can take up to three months to be granted and it can also take a few weeks to get an appointment at the German Embassy/Consulate in your home country.
To make your journey as convenient as possible, we want to give you our advice on how to travel to Aachen from the closest airports.
Travel Details & Airports
If you arrive at one of the airports below, we recommend you to take the train to Aachen Central Station (“Aachen Hauptbahnhof”).
Arrival at Cologne-Bonn Airport:
- Train Line: S-Bahn (S13 direction Köln-Ehrenfeld) to Cologne Central Station, then regional train to Aachen Hauptbahnhof
- Duration: approx. 1-1,5 hours
- Costs: 25-30€
Arrival at Frankfurt International Airport:
- Train Line: ICE or IC to Aachen Hauptbahnhof or a train with overlay in Cologne or Mainz and then to Aachen Hauptbahnhof
- Duration: approx. 2-4 hours depending on the connection
- Costs: 60-80€
Arrival at Düsseldorf International Airport:
- Travel Line: Direct regional train form Düsseldorf Airport to Aachen Hauptbahnhof
- Duration: 1,5-2 hours
- Costs: 20-30€
Arrival at Brussels Airport:
- Travel Line: Train to Aachen Hauptbahnhof (Aix-la-Chapelle)
- Duration: 1,5-2,5 hours
- Costs: 30-60€
Additionally, you can also have a look at the RWTH Aachen University travel information site.
We wish you a pleasant journey.
Health and Liability Insurance Information
Health and private liability insurance is mandatory for students who want to participate in a RWTH International Academy Summer or Winter School. Please make sure to take an appropriate insurance for the entire program period including arrival and departure dates.
We do recommend a private health and liability insurance with an EU coverage.
We recommend a full-coverage package called “PROVISIT-VISUM” from Dr. Walter, which includes an international health and liability insurance and can be booked for the exact duration of your stay and charged per day.
Please read the terms and conditions of your health and liability insurance policy carefully and consult with your insurance company in case you have further questions. It is strongly advised to have an additional travel insurance.