To ease the preparation for your participation and your stay in Germany, we prepared a list regarding your most frequently asked questions. Please read our FAQs carefully and contact us via mail in case of further questions.
Am I eligible for an RWTH Winter School program?
You are eligible for our Winter Schools if you:
1) are currently enrolled as a student in mechanical engineering or a related field,
2) are at least 18 years old
3) have finished your first year of studies (depending on the Winter School, basic understanding of certain topics is expected) and
4) have sufficient academic English language skills.
Can I apply for more than one program?
You are welcome to apply for several of our programs. Please create one online application for each Winter School program. You may upload the same set of documents.
Which documents do I need for my application?
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) (has to include: Last Name, first name, date of birth in form of day.month year (e.g. 07. August 1990), address, email, nationality, country of residence, University, subject of study, year of intake, records of education, internships/work experience, languages, computer skills)
- Cover letter (stating your motivation for applying to the program, further study plans, and career goals)
- University Transcript of Records (if possible with a conversion of your credit points in ECTS)
- Digital photograph
- Additional documents to support your application (certificates)
If your documents were not issued in German or English, you can translate them into either German or English yourself. The copies do not need to be notarized.
What are the application deadlines?
Early Bird Deadline for all programs (10% discount)
November 1(of every year)
December 1 (of every year)
Which travel documents do I need?
- Health insurance:
We do recommend a private health insurance for international as well as EU students. Students form EU countries are advised to bring their European Health Insurance Card with them.
Students from the EU and certain other countries may enter Germany without a visa.
We highly recommend all other students to apply for a Schengen Visa in a German embassy/consulate in your country of residence. The compulsory documents: A) Visa Letter, B) Letter of Admission and C) Proof of Accommodation will be provided by us. With a Schengen Visa you can stay and travel not only in Germany, but in all 26 countries that participate in the Schengen Agreement.
More information regarding visa and health insurance can be found here.
Fees & Scholarships
What are the fees for the Winter School?
The fees for the respective programs are:
1800 euros (2 weeks)
2800 euros (3 weeks)
Benefit from our Early Bird Discount of 10% and apply before November 1!
The course fees contain an 'all-inclusive' package:
- Lectures and laboratory courses
- Course material
- A student handbook with all information about the program and student life in Aachen
- Excursions and social events
- Accommodation (usually 3- or 4-bed rooms)
- Breakfast and lunch on weekdays
- Snacks or meals during selected social events
- A local public transport ticket for the respective time in Aachen
- Emergency contact number (24 hours)
- Not included are particular travel expenses to and from Aachen.
- A documentation of a health insurance policy for your stay in Germany is required.
- Participants have to provide their own meals on weekends and in the evening and have a personal budget for their individual needs.
Are there scholarships for the Winter Schools?
Unfortunately there are no scholarships available for our Winter Schools.
How can I pay the course fees?
You have three options to pay the course fees:
2) Credit Card
3) Invoice-Bank Transfer
After you have been admitted to participate in a Winter School, we will provide you with detailed information about our Online Shop System.
What is the language of instruction?
All courses are taught in English.
Should your Winter School program include a German Language Course (see Summer School "Automation and Simulation"), please note that the language of instruction during German classes will be German.
How long is the duration of a Winter School?
Depending on the respective program, the Winter School is offered for 2 or 3 weeks (February to March).
What do I need to wear or bring?
You can wear casual clothes; you don't need to wear school uniform or smart clothes.
We will provide you with the stationery and tools you will need throughout the program. You need to bring your laptop/tablet/mobile devices.
Prior to your Winter School, we will prepare a packing list for you.
When do I have to arrive?
You should aim to arrive on the day before your course starts. In case you arrive earlier you can arrange a stay with the provided accommodation. Participants have to arrange their travel on their own.
Accommodation & Food
Do I stay in a single or shared room?
Usually you stay in a 3- or 4-bed room equipped with an own bathroom. In most cases there is a shared kitchen. As the different Winter Schools might stay in different accommodations, there can be slight variations.
Can I be in the same room as my friend?
We are afraid that we cannot put students into preferred groups, because the rooms will be allocated by the staff of the accommodation. But you can see your friend at meal times, in the evening for the residential and you can travel in Aachen together!
What will be provided for breakfast, lunch, dinner?
Breakfast will be provided from Monday - Friday. It includes a filled bun and a croissant from a German bakery as well as a hot drink.
Lunch will be provided (Monday - Friday) in the University canteen/student restaurant. Every day there are several dishes to choose from, including vegetarian meals and salads.
Breakfast and lunch are included in the course fee.
Participants have to provide their own meals on weekends and in the evening on weekdays.
I have special dietary requirements. Can you cater for me?
Unfortunately, we are not able to cater for all dietary requirements during breakfast and social events.
Since lunch will be provided in the university canteen/student restaurant, you can choose from several dishes, including vegetarian meals and salads.