You are eligible for our programs, if you:
1) are currently enrolled as a student in mechanical engineering or a related field,
2) are at least 18 years old
3) have finished your first year of studies (depending on the program, basic understanding of certain topics is expected) and
4) have sufficient academic English language skills.
To ease the preparation for your participation and your stay in Germany, we prepared a list regarding your most frequently asked questions. Please read our FAQs carefully and contact us via mail in case of further questions.
You are eligible for our programs, if you:
We don’t require an English language proficiency test. However, we recommend a self-evaluation of your English language level according to one of the following scores to make sure that you are able to follow the lessons:
- TOEFL ibt : 72 points
- IELTS: 5.5 band score
- TOEIC: 785 points
- Cambridge: FCE, Grade C
- CEFR = B2
You are welcome to apply for several of our programs. Please create one online application for each program on our website. You may upload the same set of documents.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) (has to include: Last Name, first name, date of birth in form of day.month year (e.g. 07. August 1990), address, email, nationality, country of residence, University, subject of study, year of intake, records of education, internships/work experience, languages, computer skills)
- Cover letter (stating your motivation for applying to the program, further study plans, and career goals)
- University Transcript of Records (if possible with a conversion of your credit points in ECTS)
- Digital photograph
- Additional documents to support your application (certificates)
If your documents were not issued in German or English, you can translate them into either German or English yourself. The copies do not need to be notarized.
Early Bird Deadline (10% discount)
March 1 (Summer Schools)
Scholarships for all Summer Schools
March 1 (Summer Schools)
April 1 (all Summer Schools in June and July)
May 1 (all Summer Schools in August)
- Valid passport
- Health and Liability insurance: Health and private liability insurance is mandatory for students who want to participate in a RWTH International Academy Summer School. Please make sure to take an appropriate insurance for the entire program period including arrival and departure dates.
We do recommend a private health and liability insurance with an EU coverage.
We recommend a full-coverage package called “PROVISIT-VISUM” from Dr. Walter, which includes an international health and liability insurance and can be booked for the exact duration of your stay and charged per day.
Visa: Students from the EU and certain other countries may enter Germany without a visa.
We highly recommend all other students to apply for a Schengen Visa in a German embassy/consulate in your country of residence. The compulsory documents: A) Visa Letter, B) Letter of Admission and C) Proof of Accommodation will be provided by us. With a Schengen Visa you can stay and travel not only in Germany, but in all 26 countries that participate in the Schengen Agreement.
More information regarding visa and health insurance can be found here.
Fees & Scholarships
The fees for the respective programs are:
1.990 euros (2 weeks) - accomodation inlcuded!
2.990 euros (3 weeks) - accomodation inlcuded!
3.750 euros (4 weeks) - accomodation inlcuded!
The course fees contain an 'all-inclusive' package:
- Lectures and laboratory courses
- Course material
- Excursions and social events
- Accommodation (usually 3- or 4-bed rooms)
- Breakfast and lunch on weekdays
- Snacks or meals during selected social events
- A local public transport ticket for the respective time in Aachen
- Emergency contact number (24 hours)
- Not included are particular travel expenses to and from Aachen.
- A documentation of a health and liability insurance policy for your stay in Germany is required.
- Participants have to provide their own meals on weekends and in the evening and have a personal budget for their individual needs.
For some of our Summer School programs, there are a few RWTH International Academy Scholarships available. Since we can only offer a limited number of scholarships for highly qualified students, please read the special scholarship requirements first. Applications by female participants are strongly encouraged.
The full board scholarship covers:
- All lectures and laboratory courses;
- Breakfast, lunch, all meals during social events;
- Excursions, social events;
- And a local public transport ticket for the respective time in Aachen.
Not included are particular travel expenses. Participants have to provide their own meals on weekends and in the evening and have a personal budget for their individual needs.
You have three options to pay the course fees:
2) Credit Card
3) Invoice-Bank Transfer
After you have been admitted to participate in a Summer or Winter School, we will provide you with detailed information about our Online Shop System.
All courses are taught in English.
Should your Summer School program include a German Language Course (see Summer School "Automation and Simulation"), please note that the language of instruction during German classes will be German.
Depending on the respective program, the Summer School is offered for 2, 3 or 4 weeks (June to August).
You can wear casual clothes; you don't need to wear school uniform or smart clothes.
We will provide you with the stationery and tools you will need throughout the program. You need to bring your laptop/tablet/mobile devices.
Prior to your program, we will prepare a packing list for you.
You should aim to arrive on the Sunday before your course starts. In case you arrive on the Saturday before your Summer School you can arrange a stay with the provided accommodation. Participants have to arrange their travel on their own.
Accommodation & Food
Usually you stay in a 3- or 4-bed room equipped with an own bathroom. In most cases there is a shared kitchen. As the different programs might stay in different accommodations, there can be slight variations.
We are afraid that we cannot put students into preferred groups, because the rooms will be allocated by the staff of the accommodation. But you can see your friend at meal times, in the evening for the residential and you can travel in Aachen together!
Breakfast will be provided from Monday - Friday. It includes a filled bun and a croissant from a German bakery as well as a hot drink.
Lunch will be provided (Monday - Friday) in the University canteen/student restaurant. Every day there are several dishes to choose from, including vegetarian meals and salads.
Breakfast and lunch are included in the course fees.
Participants have to provide their own meals on weekends and in the evening on weekdays.
Unfortunately, we do not offer the courses without accommodation and catering.
One of the important pillars of our programs is the intercultural aspect of our international community during your stay.
This is why we offer an 'all-inclusive' package that includes the accommodation in the boarding house. For us, it seems important that the whole group spends time together to guarantee that every participant improves his/her intercultural communication skills.
Take the chance to use the benefits of a great multicultural environment and intercultural professional exchange!
The Summer School from a Student's Perspective
Thank you Thanatchai Wongjirad!