Visa, Travel and Insurance
Since you will be enrolled as a student at RWTH Aachen University during this program, we recommend applying for a student visa.
The visa application process can vary from country to country. The following information is provided as a general guideline.
The embassy requires several documents for a visa application:
The best course of action is to find information on the Federal Foreign Office's website or directly from the German embassy in your home country, but in general you will need the following documents:
- Valid passport
- Health insurance coverage
- Visa application form
- Letter of Admission (Provided by RWTH International Academy after being admitted)
- Visa Letter (Provided by RWTH International Academy after being admitted)
- Proof of Accommodation
Please start the visa application process immediately after receiving your admission and make an appointment with the German Embassy as soon as possible.
Please see also: RWTH Aachen Visa Information.
Students from China must also pass through the APS process (A process) to participate in the 3+1 program. We will guide you through the entire process. For the APS process (A process) you did not need to do an interview with the APS office.
Please note: Some Visas can take up to three months to be granted and it can also take a few weeks to get an appointment at the German Embassy/Consulate in your home country.
To make your journey as convenient as possible, we want to give you our advice on how to travel to Aachen from the closest airports.
Travel Details & Airports
If you arrive at one of the airports below, we recommend you to take the train to Aachen Central Station (“Aachen Hauptbahnhof”).
Arrival at Cologne-Bonn Airport:
- Train Line: S-Bahn (S13 direction Köln-Ehrenfeld) to Cologne Central Station, then regional train to Aachen Hauptbahnhof
- Duration: approx. 1-1,5 hours
- Costs: 25-30€
Arrival at Frankfurt International Airport:
- Train Line: ICE or IC to Aachen Hauptbahnhof or a train with overlay in Cologne or Mainz and then to Aachen Hauptbahnhof
- Duration: approx. 2-4 hours depending on the connection
- Costs: 60-80€
Arrival at Düsseldorf International Airport:
- Travel Line: Direct regional train form Düsseldorf Airport to Aachen Hauptbahnhof
- Duration: 1,5-2 hours
- Costs: 20-30€
Arrival at Brussels Airport:
- Travel Line: Train to Aachen Hauptbahnhof (Aix-la-Chapelle)
- Duration: 1,5-2,5 hours
- Costs: 30-60€
Additionally, you can also have a look at the RWTH Aachen University travel information site.
We wish you a pleasant journey.
HEALTH AND LIABILITY INSURANCE INFORMATION
Health insurance is mandatory for students who want to participate in this program as you will be a student of RWTH Aachen University.
More information regarding insurance will be given to you after your admission to the program.