Studying Physics at RWTH
RWTH Aachen University’s highly renowned M.Sc. Physics degree program is ranked as 36th best by QS World University Ranking. To ensure an excellent start to this renowned Master’s degree progam RWTH International Academy offers you the support of the Master’s College.
To find out more about the M.Sc degree program Physics have a look at our video:
The Master’s College M.Sc. Physics is able to offer you the most excellent preparation for the Master’s program in Physics at RWTH Aachen University. It was developed by RWTH International Academy in close cooperation with the Department of Physics to complement your Master’s program.
The Master’s College is designed specifically for international students who need to fulfill admission requirements for courses such as Quantum Mechanics or Statistical Physics. A Master’s degree program at RWTH Aachen University requires a very advanced and specialized level of theoretical Physics. To obtain this level, the Master’s College offers an online preparation course followed by a bridging course.
Documents - Application to RWTH
If your documents were not issued in German or English, you must submit a certified translation into either German or English. The copies do not have to be notarized.
The following documents are required for application:
- Transcript of records
- Module handbook
The following documents are required for enrollment:
- Original certificate of the completion of university degree (B.Sc.)
- Original language certificate (see below "English Language Requirements")
- APS (for Chinese applicants only)
Since the application process in controlled by RWTH Aachen University there can be changes. Please be sure to check their guidelines about the application process as well.
Last update: 15.11.2018
Applicants of the M.Sc. Physics degree program must be able to demostrate their academic competence with a B.Sc. degree in Physics. Content and learning outcome of the courses must be comparable to those of the Bachelor's program Physics at RWTH Aachen University.
If your submitted documents cannot prove sufficient qualification in these fields, your application may either be turned down, or you may be admitted to the Master’s degree program on condition of passing courses from the B.Sc. Physics program at RWTH Aachen University as a admission requirement by the start of your Master’s Thesis.
English Language Requirements
Please note that every student needs to prove his or her English language proficiency by taking an official test. You are exempt from the language tests if you have acquired a degree in one of the following countries:
- Great Britain
- New Zealand
Proof that you have studied in an English-language course of study in a country other than one of the countries above is not sufficient! Language tests from other universities will not be accepted either.
Details and minimum scores:
Certified proof of your competence in the English language in ensured by the completion of one of the accepted examinations listed below (click on the links to find an examination center near you):
- TOEFL internet-based minimum of 90 pts / paper-based minimum of 577 pts.
- IELTS test minimum overall band 5,5 pts.
- Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- First Certificate in English (FCE), with a B as result achieved
- Placement-test of RWTH Aachen University's Language Centre - B2 level (only for already enrolled RWTH students).
- For German applicants: Ein Zeugnis, das englische Sprachkenntnisse auf dem Niveau B2 des "Gemeinsamen europäischen Referenzrahmens (GeR)" ausweist. Dieser Nachweis wird z.B. durch die Vorlage eines deutschen Abiturzeugnisses erbracht, aus dem ersichtlich ist, dass Englisch bis zum Ende der Qualifikationsphase 1 (Jahrgangsstufe 11 bei G8-Abitur, sonst Jahrgangsstufe 12) durchgängig belegt und mit mindestens ausreichenden Leistungen abgeschlossen wurde.
Last update: 15.11.2017
- The completed test certificate may not be older than two years as of 1 August of the same year as the year in which the degree course that you are applying for will start.
- A copy of the test certificate needs to be uploaded to the online application system before your enrollment. In case of admission, the original results need to be presented for enrollment in August.