Frequently Asked Questions
Below we have collected the most frequently asked questions for all education formats.
M.Sc. Degree Programmes - Application and Admisson
1. I have applied online. How will I know if my application has been received?
Once you have successfully applied through the online portal RWTH Online, the system will inform you that your application has been submitted. Please understand that due to the great number of applications we receive, it might take some time before we can send out admission and rejection notices.
2. I have applied for several programmes, but I have received a confirmation mail for only one programme.
In case you have applied for more than one programme, please notice that all applications will be processed individually by different Study Course Coordinators and Study Advisiors. Therefore, correspondence for each one of them will be sent out in different time slots.
3. Can I apply for more than one programme?
You are welcome to apply to several of our programmes. Please create an online application for each M.Sc. degree programme from your account. You may upload the same set of documents.
4. Do I need to send any documents to the RWTH Aachen University by post?
No. The application process is entirely digital. You will only need to provide original hard copies to the International Office of the RWTH Aachen after you have been admitted and have decided to enroll.
5. Do I have to learn German to be accepted to your courses?
For our English-taught M.Sc. degree programmes it is not mandatory to learn German before admission. A basic German course is part of some programmes.
We recommend students to start learning German even though it is academically not requested: it will help students to settle down in a German environment.
For M.Sc. Textile Engineering: Application requirement: A2 Goethe Certificate until enrolment (A1 until 1 July)
6. Is work experience mandatory in order to apply for RWTH Academy M.Sc. degree programmes?
Practical professional experiences of as a rule not less than one year is required.
The applicants need to provide a proof of at least six months work experience at the time of application. The total amount of 12 months must be presented upon enrolment then.
7. Does the International Academy offer any scholarships?
Please find an overview about scholarship opportunities here
8. Can I still apply for the next intake, even when the deadline has already passed?
Please understand that we are not allowed to accept applications after the deadline of 1 March.
9. When will I be informed about the decision of my admission?
Please understand that all applications will be reviewed with utmost care. As a result, the evaluation of the applications demands a timeframe of about two months. Therefore, you will be notified of your admission/rejection in April or May.
10. In case I do not have all the required documents before the deadline, is it possible to hand in some documents later?
In case of admission you will be asked to submit the missing documents. These must be submitted by the time of enrollment at the latest:
- Bachelor Degree Certificate
- Proof of Language Proficiency
- (Only for Chinese applicants: APS)
- (Only for CAME, Textile & MME-EPS applicants: GRE)
All other documents need to be submitted by 1 March.
11. What are the language requirements for the Master's programs?
For all of our master's programs: certified proof of your competence in the English language by the completion of one of the accepted examinations:
- TOEFL internet-based minimum of 90 pts / paper-based minimum of 577 pts.
- IELTS test minimum overall band 5,5 pts.
- Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- First Certificate in English (FCE), completed with a B
You can find a test center near you by visiting the following links:
- The score reports must not be older than two years by 1 August of the year the degree course you are applying for will start.
- A copy of the score reports needs to be uploaded to the online application system. In case of admission, the original scores have to be presented for enrollment in August.
- Exemptions for the language requirements are only applicable for nationals or first degree holders from the USA, the UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia.