The implementation of EU directive 2010/63/EU on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes has immediate consequences for scientific personnel, their training needs and the associated job market. The number of personnel qualified to plan, conduct and evaluate experiments on animals has been further restricted and additional training is required for a wide spectrum of professionals active in laboratory animal science.
The benefits for our absolvents are
- detailed and specialist knowledge of laboratory animal science based on the latest scientific discoveries in order to deal with complex experimental methodology and conduct independent research.
- Ability to independently plan, conduct, evaluate and improve animal experiments, under consideration of the latest ethical criteria and species appropriate animal husbandry, in order to positively influence the well-being of the animals in line with EU directives while generating scientific data to the highest standards.
- Accredited M.Sc. qualification from a leading university for access to a wide range of careers in Laboratory Animal Science.
- Access to a network of internationally renowned specialists.
- The opportunity to study while continuing to pursue an outside career.
- Unique broad experience with a wide range of species, from rodents to non-human primates.
Currently, laboratory animal science is not a primary focus of human or veterinary medicine. Furthermore, interdisciplinary Bachelor and Master programs in bio-medical disciplines often lack the required experimental skills, despite the potential for their graduates to access attractive careers in science or industry. Together with the accepted, on-going necessity for animal testing in medical research and development, as well as the more restrictive animal protection guidelines, there is an acute demand from industry, research institutions and the regulatory authorities for highly skilled personnel to lead and manage their laboratory animal research activities in a highly competent manner. Graduates of this M.Sc. program will be well equipped to take on leading roles and will be highly sought after. Furthermore, graduates of the RWTH Aachen, one of Germany’s Universities of Excellence, are highly regarded by employers.
The program is aimed at scientists, doctors and veterinarians, who plan, conduct and evaluate animal experiments and their facilities. The study course is conducted in English and open to national and international applicants who wish to enhance their skills for a successful career in Laboratory Animal Science. By employing a blended learning concept, incorporating e-learning and short attendance blocks, this two year, part-time course enables participants to receive the highest level of academic and practical training whilst continuing to pursue their outside careers.