M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science
NEXT START: SEPTEMBER 2020
Apply now and take advantage of our early-bird discount!
The M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science is a two year, part-time study course at RWTH Aachen University. 90 ECTS are attributed to this program. Successful graduates are awarded the academic title Master of Science (M.Sc.) of RWTH Aachen University. This master program is FELASA accredited and graduates will receive the FELASA certificate LAS specialist (including EU functions A, B & D).
3Rs THROUGH EDUCATION
The RWTH Aachen University is committed to the 3R principles: Reduction, Refinement and Replacement of animal experiments. Animal experiments for biomedical research must be restricted to a minimum and the highest animal welfare standards must be upheld. In order for these principles to be effectively implemented scientists must not only be sensitive and receptive to improvements but also receive outstanding training in this field. Therefore, RWTH Aachen University is pleased to offer an executive Master program, M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science, to address these guiding principles.
Refinement is achieved through high quality theoretical and practical education of scientists ensuring that they are better able to design targeted experiments and minimizing adverse effects. Furthermore, by applying a statistical approach and exact experimental planning the number of animals required can be reduced. The course also incorporates modules dedicated to alternatives to animal experiments, as well as ethics, to enable improved decision making and ensure animal experiments are replaced where ever possible.
The implementation of EU directive 2010/63/EU on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes has immediate consequences for scientific personnel, their training needs and the associated job market. The number of personnel qualified to plan, conduct and evaluate experiments on animals has been further restricted and additional training is required for a wide spectrum of professionals active in laboratory animal science.
- Detailed and specialist knowledge of laboratory animal science based on the latest scientific discoveries in order to deal with complex experimental methodology and conduct independent research
- Ability to independently plan, conduct, evaluate and improve animal experiments, under consideration of the latest ethical criteria and species appropriate animal husbandry, in order to positively influence the well-being of the animals in line with the 3Rs and EU directives while generating scientific data to the highest standards
- Accredited M.Sc. qualification from a leading university for access to a wide range of careers in Laboratory Animal Science
- Access to a network of internationally renowned specialists
- The opportunity to study while continuing to pursue an outside career
- Unique broad experience with a wide range of species, from rodents to non-human primates
The program is aimed at scientists, doctors and veterinarians, who plan, conduct and evaluate animal experiments and their facilities. The study course is conducted in English and open to national and international applicants who wish to enhance their skills for a successful career in Laboratory Animal Science. By employing a blended learning concept, incorporating e-learning and short attendance blocks, this two year, part-time course enables participants to receive the highest level of academic and practical training whilst continuing to pursue their outside careers.
STRUCTURE OF THE COURSE
The standard study period incl. completion of the Master thesis is four semesters (two study years). The course can only be started in the winter semester.
The course is modular in structure. The individual modules address the teaching and development of a specific subject area and its corresponding competencies. Assessment of performance is conducted using examinations or other evaluation tools. The study program comprises 10 modules incl. the master thesis module.
In the Master of Laboratory Animal Science program, the knowledge acquired in Bachelor's program is specialised and deepened in scientific, laboratory animal science aspects. The graduates have a detailed knowledge of animal experiments based on the latest scientific findings in laboratory animal science. This includes all areas of planning, carrying out, evaluating and improving animal experiments in compliance with the latest legal regulations and ethical criteria as well as animal-friendly husbandry, care and care of the animals.
The graduates are qualified to deal with complex experimental methods and interdisciplinary questions and, in particular, to carry out independent scientific work. Through the integrated application-oriented practical and multimedia study parts (skill training), the graduates are prepared for a comprehensive professional qualification in the field of laboratory animal science, the application of highly specialized research methods and animal experimental techniques.
In addition to professional competence, graduates should be able to communicate concepts, procedures and results and work in a team. They should be able to familiarise themselves with the language and terminology of neighbouring subjects in order to work together across disciplinary boundaries.
The qualification profile of graduates who have obtained their degree in one of the Master's programs of RWTH Aachen University is characterised by the following qualifications:
- The graduates have gained deep subject knowledge in a chosen field or in a scientific interdisciplinary topic.
- The graduates are able to apply the scientific, medical, mathematical methodology to solve complex research problems received from industry or from research institutions. Furthermore they can critically appraise and, if needed, further develop these methods.
- The graduates command a deep and broad knowledge, which enables them to familiarize themselves with future problems arising in their own subject area as well as in neighbouring fields.
- The graduates have gained various social competencies (abstraction capability, systematic reasoning, team and communication abilities, international and intercultural experience, etc.) which prepare them for the challenges of employment.