The M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science is a two year, part-time study course at RWTH Aachen University. 90 ECTS are attributed to this program. Successful graduates are awarded the academic title Master of Science (M.Sc.) of RWTH Aachen University. This master program is FELASA accredited and graduates will receive the FELASA certificate LAS specialist (including EU functions A, B & D).
M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science
NEXT START: SEPTEMBER 2019
Application deadline: August 15, 2019
Join our next info-webinar:
Monday, 25.03.2019 from 04:00 to 05:00 pm CET
The webinar is of great interest to anyone involved in laboratory animal studies, who is interested in a high level academic and practical education alongside his or her profession. The program is aimed at international scientists (e.g. B.Sc. in Biology), veterinarians and physicians who are striving for a state-of-the art education as well as practical training in consideration of EU Directive 2010/63/EU and the 3Rs.
The scientific board of the program, Prof. René Tolba and PD Dr. Julia Steitz from the Institute of Laboratory Animal Science at University Hospital Aachen will give a brief introduction to the structure of the program and will be available to answer questions afterwards.
For questions and registration: firstname.lastname@example.org
The webinar will be held in English and will take place in Adobe Connect. The link to the webinar will be provided by email after registration.
The RWTH Aachen University is committed to the 3R principles: Reduction, Refinement and Replacement of animal experiments. Animal experiments for biomedical research must be restricted to a minimum and the highest animal welfare standards must be upheld. In order for these principles to be effectively implemented scientists must not only be sensitive and receptive to improvements but also receive outstanding training in this field. Therefore, RWTH Aachen University is pleased to offer an executive Master program, M.Sc. Laboratory Animal Science, to address these guiding principles.
Refinement is achieved through high quality theoretical and practical education of scientists ensuring that they are better able to design targeted experiments and minimizing adverse effects. Furthermore, by applying a statistical approach and exact experimental planning the number of animals required can be reduced. The course also incorporates modules dedicated to alternatives to animal experiments, as well as ethics, to enable improved decision making and ensure animal experiments are replaced where ever possible.
The implementation of EU directive 2010/63/EU on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes has immediate consequences for scientific personnel, their training needs and the associated job market. The number of personnel qualified to plan, conduct and evaluate experiments on animals has been further restricted and additional training is required for a wide spectrum of professionals active in laboratory animal science.
- Detailed and specialist knowledge of laboratory animal science based on the latest scientific discoveries in order to deal with complex experimental methodology and conduct independent research
- Ability to independently plan, conduct, evaluate and improve animal experiments, under consideration of the latest ethical criteria and species appropriate animal husbandry, in order to positively influence the well-being of the animals in line with the 3Rs and EU directives while generating scientific data to the highest standards
- Accredited M.Sc. qualification from a leading university for access to a wide range of careers in Laboratory Animal Science
- Access to a network of internationally renowned specialists
- The opportunity to study while continuing to pursue an outside career
- Unique broad experience with a wide range of species, from rodents to non-human primates
The program is aimed at scientists, doctors and veterinarians, who plan, conduct and evaluate animal experiments and their facilities. The study course is conducted in English and open to national and international applicants who wish to enhance their skills for a successful career in Laboratory Animal Science. By employing a blended learning concept, incorporating e-learning and short attendance blocks, this two year, part-time course enables participants to receive the highest level of academic and practical training whilst continuing to pursue their outside careers.
- Brochure MLAS | pdf, 1 MiB