+49 241 80 27634
In order to prepare for your upcoming studies in Aachen, you will need to tackle a number of issues. The following page provides you with an overview of all necessary steps that need to be completed before travelling to Germany.
We offer many orientation events for you to welcome you to your new home and family!
This is the tentative schedule for you - a mix of cultural, social and academic activities:
Following your arrival in Aachen, there will be a number of important things to take care of:
A very central and important bureaucratic step is enrolment at the university. After enrolment, you are an official student of the RWTH Aachen University.
A health insurance is compulsory for your enrolment. As a service, we provide you with the opportunity to sign up for the public health insurance (or apply for an exemption) with our partner ‘Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)’. This can be done during 3 Welcome Meetings (see schedule above).
You are required to officially enroll at the University in late September. RWTH Aachen's International Office will enroll you during their opening times at their office at the central RWTH campus. The details are below:
Office address: Super C Building | Templergraben 57 | 5th Floor, room 5.31 | 52062 Aachen
Opening times: Monday, Thursdays and Fridays 9:30am-12:30pm and Wednesdays 1-4pm
We will explain the enrollment procedure to you during our Welcome Meeting on 24 September, so we would strongly recommend you wait to enroll until you have this information.
There are two main steps to becoming an officially enrolled student at the University:
In order to enroll at RWTH Aachen University in the study program you have been admitted to, you need to provide the following documents:
1. a valid passport.
2. a print out of the letter of admission from RWTH International Academy gGmbH.
3. originals of your university degree certificate(s) and academic transcripts.
4. originals of the translations of your university degree certificate(s) and academic transcripts in case your documents were not in German or English (please note that the translations need to be made by a certified translator).
5. original of your English language test certificate (not older than 2 years on 01.08.2018) with the following minimum scores: TOEFL internet-based 90 pts. / paper-based 577 pts., IELTS overall score 5.5 pts., Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), or First Certificate in English (FCE) completed with B.
6. originals of additional documents that you had to submit (e.g. proof of work experience(s), GRE score card, if applicable to your Master’s degree program).
7. VERY IMPORTANT: a written confirmation from a German statutory health insurance that you are either insured with a German statutory health insurance or that you are exempted from statutory health insurance because you have sufficient coverage from another insurance.
It is very important that you have either the proof of German statutory health insurance or the proof of exemption. Both can only be issued by a German statutory health insurance.
For legal reasons we may not enroll any student who has not one of these two proofs.
Along with your admission documents, you will also receive a full list of all required documents. This "Enrollment Information" document can also be downloaded in the download section on the right hand side.
Following your enrollment at RWTH Aachen, you will receive various documents and will need to follow certain steps to complete your registration at the university and to activate your IT services. More information:
When you enroll at RWTH Aachen, you will receive the following documents:
+49 241 80 27634