The application process is 100% digital - no need to send us any paper copies by post!
Non-EU Applicants: December 1 - March 1
EU Applicants: March 2 - July 15
You can also take a look at our frequently asked questions here.
Suggested Fundamentals for NPE
Academic First Degree
Bachelor of Engineering/ Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Technology
Good performance in undergraduate studies
Mathematics, Mechanics, Material Science, Thermodynamics, Informatics/Programming/Computer Science, Physics, Machine Design, Fluid Mechanics, Automatic Control, Engineering Design, Production Management, Machine Tools, Manufacturing Technology, Fluid Techniques, Electrical Drives and Energy Storage Systems
*Up to 30 CP of required fundamentals can be achieved via our Master’s Prep Courses
You'll need the following documents for your application:
- University transcript of records (preferably with ECTS conversion)
- GRE General Test with minimum scores (Verbal Reasoning: 145 | Quantitative Reasoning: 160 | Analytical Writing: 3) (applicants from the EU and EEA are exempt)
- Proof of at least 6 months' work experience (12 months at enrollment**)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letter of intent
- Two letters of recommendation
- Proof of English language proficiency (min. TOEFL 90 | IELTS 5.5 or any accepted certificate)**
- University degree certificate**
- (APS, only for applicants with a first degree from China)
*If your documents were not issued in German or English, you must have a certified translator translate them into either German or English. These copies do not need to be notarized.
Important Details for Required Documents
Proof of Work Experience
Our programs require a minimum of 12 months' work experience by the time of enrollment. The proof of work experience ideally includes the following information:
- The employer's address and stamp
- Contact details of your supervisor
- Date of joining and, if applicable, resignation date (duration)
- Weekly hours
- Job title
- Short task description
Please note: your proof of work experience must be signed by a superior or HR!
Letter of Recommendation
Please note that no standard form or format is required for the letter of recommendation. The letter of recommendation can be issued by a university professor/lecturer or by a superior from your employment. It should ideally provide the following information:
- your relationship to the author
- your academic/professional history
- your qualities/achievements/ambitions in your respective field
- your personal traits and goals
- the author’s signature
- be written on the institution’s/company’s letter head
- bear the stamp of the issuing institution/company
Letter of Motivation
Applicants have to answer the following questions in detail:
- Which study track (Smart Factory, Additive Manufacturing, Electric Mobility Production) do you want to choose? What are your motivations and qualifications to sudy the track?
- What perceptions do you have when thinking of studying in Germany?
- Why do you want to study at RWTH Aachen University?
- Why did you choose the program?
- Please mention your past academic or university experiences.
- In what way does the program in question contribute to you achieving your career goals?
English Language Proficiency Proof
A copy of the score reports can be uploaded in the online application system, but it is not a required document at application. In case of admission, it is in students' own responsibility to present the original scores or printed PDF with minimum requirement for enrollment in August/September.
Exemptions for the language requirements are only applicable for degree holders from the USA, the UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia. Proof that you have studied in an English-language course of study in a country other than one of the countries above is not sufficient! Language tests from other universities will not be accepted either.
How to apply at RWTH Aachen University
Non-EU and non-EEA applicants need to fulfill the following mandatory minimum requirement:
Proof of the GRE General Test with minimum scores (Verbal Reasoning: 145 | Quantitative Reasoning: 160 | Analytical Writing: 3) at the time of application.
We help you prepare for the GRE