Information for Admitted Students
In order to prepare for your studies in Aachen, you will need to tackle a number of organizational questions. This page provides you with an overview of all necessary steps that need to be completed before and after travelling to Germany.
First Steps after Admission
Admitted students will be informed about their admission by email. Additionally, they will receive an information package by postal mail.
Please note: The information package contains hard copies of all documents that you received via email. Hence, once you've accepted admission. You can get started on your visa application.
Confirmation of your Admission to RWTH Aachen University
To confirm your participation in the program, you will need to send back a signed copy of the participation agreement by June 30.
The fees for the first semester are also due on June 30. The payment information will be included in your letter of admission. To find out more, check out the Fees | Expenses section.
Please be aware that visa applications may take up between two to six months. Hence we advise you to start the visa application process immediately after receiving your admission results. The first step here would be to make an appointment at the nearest German embassy or consulate.
For more info, please visit: RWTH Aachen Visa Information
Travelling to Aachen
Here you can find travel options and approximate costs from several airports to Aachen.
Planning your Stay
Please take note of the semester dates when planning your stay.
Master's Prep Courses MME-Water
Have a smooth start into your Master’s studies by refreshing your engineering knowledge before the semester begins. Seize the opportunity to join the Master’s Prep Courses for Management and Engineering in Water!
- Fulfill your academic requirements listed in the admission documents during the preliminary Master’s Prep Courses (e.g. Mechanics, Thermodynamics)
- Arrive in Aachen prior to your M.Sc. degree program (already in September)
- Refresh your technical knowledge with courses before the start of the regular lectures
- Have fun in a social program and get an insight into German culture and customs
You can find more detailed information about the MME-Water Master's Prep Courses here.
First Steps after Arrival
Upon your arrival in Aachen, there are three important things you'll need to take care of:
- Register your new address at City Hall. More info.
- Apply for your Residence Permit: As the entry visa is generally only valid for a few weeks, we recommend you visit the local immigration office (Ausländeramt) as soon as possible. The Immigration Office, too, advises new arrivals to start the procedure at least one month before your visa's expiration date. More Info.
- Open a bank account: You are free to choose any bank. Common choices among international students include Sparkasse Aachen and Deutsche Bank. More info.
- Enroll at RWTH Aachen University: In order to become a student at the University, you will need to enroll at the International Office. To find out more, go the Enrollment section of this page.
Health insurance is extremely important: It will not only guarantee you treatment from German health care providers, it's also a condition for enrollment at the University!
In order to facilitate the process we provide the opportunity to sign up for public health insurance (or apply for an exemption) with our partner ‘Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)’ at our Welcome Meetings. They will then provide you with the required insurance (or exemption) certificate.
You are, of course, free to choose an insurer. Popular choices include:
- Techniker Krankenkasse (Marienbongard 24-26, 52062 Aachen, Phone 0241/8870-777)
- Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse (AOK) (Karlshof am Markt, 52062 Aachen, Phone 0241/4640)
- Barmer GEK (Theaterstr. 35-39, 52062 Aachen, Phone 0800 332060 64-0)
If you decide not to sign up at one of the Welcome Meetings, please be sure to buy statutory health insurance well before enrolling at the University.
If you a) are older than 30 years or b) will begin your 14th semester of studies or c) are a European Health Insurance Card holder or d) already have private health insurance from a recognized insurer based outside Germany and do not wish to take out any additional insurance, the insurer can issue an exemption certificate.
In this case, ask for a “Versicherungsbescheinigung” and explain that you need insurance in order to enroll at university.
Enrollment at the University
In order to enroll at RWTH Aachen University in the study program you have been admitted to, you need to provide the following documents:
- a valid passport.
- your letter of admission from the RWTH Aachen International Academy
- originals of your university degree certificate(s) and academic transcripts
- originals of the certified translations of your university degree certificate(s) and academic transcripts in case your documents were not in German or English.
- your original English language test certificate (no older than 2 years on 01.08.2018)
- originals of additional documents that you had to submit (e.g. proof of work experience, GRE score card, ...)
- proof of insurance or exemption certificate from a German statutory health insurance
- proof of exmatriculation (if you've been enrolled at a German university before)
After enrolling you will be allocated a matriculation number and will be asked to transfer the University semester fee (roughly € 250; this fee is unrelated to the RWTH International Academy's fees). For more information on enrollment and the University semester fee, please check the relevant RWTH Aachen University page.
When & Where to Enroll
Where? International Office, Super C Building, Templergraben 57 - 5th Floor, Room 5.31
When? Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 10.30 am to 12.00 noon, and Wednesday from 1.00 to 4.00 pm
After enrolling at RWTH Aachen University, you will receive the following documents to finalize your student status:
- Bank Transfer Slip: You can use the bank transfer slip to pay the University semester fee (or "social contribution fee") by wire transfer. Alternatively, you can pay the amount in cash at one of Sparkasse Aachen’s many branches. As soon as the University has received your payment, you will have formally joined RWTH Aachen University.
- Temporary Student ID (Enrollment Certificate): This document will serve as a substitute for your Student ID (RWTH Blue Card) throughout the first few weeks of your stay. You can use this certificate at the local public transport provider (ASEAG), to pick up your provisional transport pass. For more information, please contact the Info-Service Center of the RWTH International Office.
- Enrollment and Semester Documents: Two to six weeks after receiving your semester fee payment the University will send you your semester package. This package contains the documents you’ll need throughout your time at RWTH Aachen University:
- Your personal data sheet ("Stammdatenblatt")
- Your IT services access code (part of the personal data sheet, you’ll need these to activate IT services such as your RWTH email account. You can activate your account here.)
- Your Student ID (Blue Card)
- Further certificates stating your student status (to be used when dealing with the authorities)
- Your transportation pass (or “Semesterticket” AVV/NRW; which entitles you to use most of the public transport system in and around the City of Aachen, as well as in the state of North-Rhine Westphalia)
- The bank transfer slip for the next semester