Information for Admitted Students
First Steps after Admission
In order to prepare for your upcoming studies in Aachen, you will need to tackle a number of issues. The following page provides you with an overview of all the necessary steps that need to be completed prior to your arrival in Germany.
Have a smooth start into your Master’s studies by refreshing your engineering knowledge before the semester begins. Seize the opportunity to join the Master’s Prep Courses for Management and Engineering in Electrical Power Systems!
- Fulfill your academic requirements listed in your admission documents with the Master’s prep courses (e.g. Mathematics III)
- Arrive in Aachen prior to your M.Sc. degree program (already in September)
- Refresh your technical knowledge with courses before the start of the regular lectures
- Have fun in a social program and get an insight into German culture and customs.
You can find more detailed information about the Master's prep courses for MME-EPS here.
We offer many orientation events for you to welcome you to your new home and family!
This is the tentative schedule for you - a mix of cultural, social and academic activities:
First Steps after Arrival
Health Insurance Registration and Welcome Meeting
Health insurance coverage is compulsory for your enrollment at RWTH Aachen University. As a service, we provide you with the opportunity to sign up for public health insurance (or apply for an exemption) with our partner ‘Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)’. You can do this during your MME-EPS Welcome Meeting on 1 October 2018.
You are required to officially enroll at the University in late September. RWTH Aachen's International Office will enroll you during their opening times at their office at the central RWTH campus. The details are below:
Office address: Super C Building | Templergraben 57 | 5th Floor, room 5.31 | 52062 Aachen
Opening times: Monday, Thursdays and Fridays 9:30am-12:30pm and Wednesdays 1-4pm
We will explain the enrollment procedure to you during our Welcome Meeting on 24 September, so we would strongly recommend you wait to enroll until you have this information.
There are two main steps to becoming an officially enrolled student at the University:
You must present the required documents as listed in the enrollment conditions on your letter of admission) and enroll at RWTH Aachen
RWTH Aachen's International Office will give you a payment slip including the information you need to transfer the social contribution fee to RWTH Aachen (around 260 EUR) - this has to be paid to RWTH Aachen University's Registrar's Office afterwards (NOT to RWTH International Academy)
DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR ENROLLMENT
In order to enroll at RWTH Aachen University in the study program you have been admitted to, you need to provide the following documents:
- a valid passport.
- a print out of the letter of admission from RWTH International Academy gGmbH.
- originals of your university degree certificate(s) and academic transcripts.
- originals of the translations of your university degree certificate(s) and academic transcripts in case your documents were not in German or English (please note that the translations need to be made by a certified translator).
- original of your English language test certificate (not older than 2 years on 01.08.2018) with the following minimum scores: TOEFL internet-based 90 pts. / paper-based 577 pts., IELTS overall score 5.5 pts., Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), or First Certificate in English (FCE) completed with B.
- originals of additional documents that you had to submit (e.g. proof of work experience(s), GRE score card, if applicable to your Master’s degree program).
- VERY IMPORTANT: a written confirmation from a German statutory health insurance that you are either insured with a German statutory health insurance or that you are exempted from statutory health insurance because you have sufficient coverage from another insurance.
It is very important that you have either the proof of German statutory health insurance or the proof of exemption. Both can only be issued by a German statutory health insurance.
For legal reasons we may not enroll any student who has not one of these two proofs.
Along with your admission documents, you will also receive a full list of all required documents. This "Enrollment Information" document can also be downloaded in the download section on the right hand side.
You will receive various documents during your enrollment at RWTH Aachen University. You will need to follow certain steps to complete your enrollment and to activate your IT services at the university. More information:
- Enrollment Information | pdf, 149 KiB
- Health Insurance Information | pdf, 1 MiB
- Master's Prep Course MME-EPS | ,
- Registration Form for the Master's Prep Course MME-EPS | ,
- German Course Sponsoring | pdf, 235 KiB