Inhabitants of Aachen
- Aachen has 250,000 inhabitants,
- 45,000 of which are students,
- and only 5,000 of them live in student dormitories.
Usefule tips & Information
- It is most difficult to find accommodation during the months of March/April and September/October.
- Take note that proximity to the university, as well as city centre will influence the rent price. Central apartments which are close to many amenities will be more expensive.
- Expected monthly costs for accommodation:
- The basic rent price: between €150 and €400
- Additional costs (heating, water): between €50 and €100
- GEZ (radio and television broadcasting): €17,50
- Internet (WLAN): between €20 and €30
- Finding accommodation outside of Aachen (in one of the neighbouring districts) might be a good place to start if you are looking to keep rent costs low. Your semester ticket allows you to travel for free using all forms of intracity public transport within the state of Northrein-Westfalia
- Being flexible about the area and price of the accommodation means that you are likely to find success sooner.
- Consider whether you would like to live alone or share a flat with others. Sharing accommodation often leads to reduced costs, as well as a more social living space.